Monday, November 12, 2007

Baby Steps

So I've learned that I should probably not have a full marathon be my first race, so says the copy of "Marathon Training For Dummies" I started reading at the CVS pharmacy down the street from my house.

The book was actually pretty helpful. I might even buy it, or at least check it out at my local library. I also learned that I'm a heal striker, and that I should buy running shoes with a high arch to support the outward role of my feet when I run. Or something.

I also think I need to drag someone into this with me. That's where Bryan Dibley comes in. Bryan is a friend of mine from college who now teaches English and coaches high school basketball. I informed him of my decision tonight, and I think he may have doubts. Our phone conversation went something like this:

ME: So I need to tell you something, mostly because I want you to hold me accountable when this time comes around next year. And I might need your help.
BRYAN: (with a mix of concern and boredom) What?
ME: I have decided I'm going to run in the New York City Marathon!
BRYAN: (with a mix of disbelief and disgust) WHAT!
ME: And I have decided that you should run it with me.
BRYAN: That's not gonna happen. You're not running anything.

I guess I understand his skepticism. There was that time when I told him I was going to drop journalism and start training to be a speed skater in order to qualify for the 2006 winter Olympics. I've told him I'm emigrating to Australia. I've told him I was going to get us on "The Amazing Race." And he's still waiting for me to go after that masters degree I keep talking about (the plan involves living on the second floor of his house while attending school and stringing for the Star-Telegram, so he may or may not be looking forward to that one actually happening).

So what's different this time? Honestly I don't know. The good news is he kind of agreed that maybe he will run a 10K with me if I find one in late March or April of next year. And if that works out, maybe, possibly he would be willing to think about considering something more later. Its hard to get Bryan to do anything he doesn't want to do (you should see our horrible "Amazing Race" audition tape), so the fact that he's willing to consider this first step is good news.

No comments: