Thursday, March 27, 2008

Injury Report

CORPUS CHRISTI - Injuries could force a Capitol 10K team member out of the race just days before the scheduled start of the six-mile trial in downtown Austin.

Team member Bryan Dibley suffered a pulled muscle Wednesday, limiting his mobility and jeopardizing his team's chances of finishing with a respectable time.

"Obviously this isn't what I wanted to hear," said team leader Michael Zamora. "We're hoping a few days rest will take care of it."

In a phone interview from his Dallas-suburb home of Mansfield, Texas, Dibley said he strained his chest and sternocleidomastoid muscles while lifting weights this week. Dibley claims the injury makes movement difficult, causing the impact of running to be painful. Despite the injury, Dibley said he hopes to make it through the race this weekend.

"I'll still be able to keep up with (Zamora)," he said.

Zamora is more cautious, however, and said Dibley needs to play it safe this weekend.

"I don't want him to get hurt," Zamora said. "I'll consult with Amory (Dibley's wife) this weekend, and we'll make this a race-time decision."

Dibley joined the running team back in November 2007. Despite Dibley's inconsistent training schedule, Zamora was optimistic Dibley would be ready in time for the race. Zamora called the latest set back "frustrating."

Zamora's running team already took a hit last week when Beth Francesco of Corpus Christi pulled out of the race siting work conflicts and conditioning concerns.

Zamora himself admitted to nagging shin splints which have limited the frequency of his runs in the last couple of weeks.

"I got in a final run today, and my legs didn't feel too bad," he said. "My outdoor run Monday really aggravated the pain, so I played it safe and ran on a treadmill today for a lower impact workout. I think I'll be good for Sunday's run."

Zamora said he is looking forward to a little rest time once the race is complete, but doesn't plan on taking off too much time.

"I'm already making plans for my next race, and its a big one," he said.

Though his registration could not be confirmed at post time, sources close to the runner claim Zamora has already agreed to run a half marathon in the fall. He has also put his name out among co-workers to take on a four-mile leg of the Beach to Bay team marathon in May.

No comments: