Thursday, March 13, 2008

I Hate Running

I knew this before I started this whole experiment, but for some reason that didn't deter me. I want to make sure everyone else knows how much I dislike their sport, so I threw together a little T-Shirt design over at UberPrints.com. This is what I will be proudly wearing as I run across the finish line at the Capitol 10K in about two weeks:



Don't worry, there's also actual running involved in my race preparation. I've been consistently running 3 to 3.5 miles over the last few weeks, but I decided it might be a good idea to actually complete 6.2 miles before the 10K event. At this point, running the whole thing is out of the question. My plan is to run at least half, then do a mix of running and walking to finish the race off.

I tried it out on Monday, and it didn't go so well. It wasn't the difficulty of the extra mileage, it was the time. I stopped after five miles and about an hour on the treadmill because I was just plain bored. Oh my God it was so boring. How am I going to handle my ultimate goal of running a full 26.2 mile marathon if I can't even focus for an hour?

Today I gave it another go. Fortunately I had an hour-long rerun of The Gilmore Girls to keep me distracted. I finished the distance in about 68 minutes. After cool down and everything I hopped off the treadmill, and, oddly enough, the machine told me I had completed 26.2 laps. Weird.

No comments: