Monday, January 14, 2008

Last Call For Alcohol

Over the weekend I broke one of my self-imposed training rules. I got drunk.

The last month and a half or so, I cut out the drinking. It just didn't fit into my new, run-focused life style. Sure there was the occasional drink here and there: a glass (or two) of champagne at New Years, or a beer with a friend while watching the end of football game. The goal was more about moderating than abstaining I suppose, but in most cases it was pretty easy to not drink at all. I've never really been a big drinker. I like more the idea of drinking, the social aspect of it, than the actual act itself. Sure I was the loser in the group ordering Diet Cokes while everyone else downed $2 tall Lone Stars, but that's OK. I suspect I'm usually the loser of the group any way.

Saturday, however, I really just wanted to get trashed. It was the end of a long day at work, I had been out of my comfort zone all week shooting a video project that was quickly taking a nose dive, and I knew my free time would soon be occupied with nothing but packing and preparing myself to move into a new apartment. The bars were definitely calling.

Like most things I do, however, I half-assed it. A tall glass of wine and a few beers later and I was far from trashed. The after effects, however, were still the same. Forgot about the extra calories, its the slowing of the metabolism, the inevitable late-night food run, and the sluggishness the next morning leading to a missed work out that really wreaks havoc on my training. I just don't need it.

So I'm back on the wagon, I suppose. I prefer Diet Coke to Bud Select anyway.

No comments: