Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Half (of Half) Way There

So over the weekend I ran in the Harbor Half. It was actually pretty fantastic. The 13-mile race starts out at Whataburger Field, travels over the Harbor Bridge and across the causeway to Indian Point Park and back. I had originally wanted to run the whole thing myself. A couple of missed, crucial runs, however, really set my training schedule back, so I opted for the relay. I ran the first part, and friend and coworker Denise ran the second part.
The last month or so I've been so worried about running over the Harbor Bridge. I mean, sometimes my car can barely make it over, how was I going to run across it? My biggest problem was that the majority of my training had been done inside. On a treadmill. Sure I ran 8 miles a few weeks ago in an air conditioned environment, but I quickly realized how that doesn't really translate well to the streets. The last couple of weeks I've been running strickly outside, trying to incorporate as many hills and inclines as possible. The result? That bridge was a piece of cake.
Yeah, I get excited about it until I think about how 6.5 or so miles is only half of half way there. Against my better judgment, I've been talked into doing a half marathon in a couple of weeks. I don't think I'll be ready. I just have to really try and stay focused (and not catch my roommates cold) the next two weeks.

OFFICIAL HARBOR HALF MARATHON RESULTS:
Chip Time: 1 hr, 08 min, 51.2 sec
Combined Time: 2 hr, 22 min, 49.5 sec
Mixed Relay Position: 24
Overall Relay Position: 88

No comments: