Thursday, April 3, 2008

Frankenstein

I may have created a monster.

Back in November I practically had to beg my friend Bryan to run this Capitol 10K with me. So I was quite surprised to get a message from him this morning saying how he's checked out all these races online that we can do over the next several months. There is one this weekend in Dallas, he said. An awesome short run that takes you around the Cotton Bowl. We would definitely be back in Austin for the Texas Roundup 10K, he continued, as well as hitting several other runs in the Austin area. He'd even come down to Corpus Christi to run in some random beach 5K in May.

What? Who is this person? Bryan doesn't like to travel, he hates running, and sometimes I suspect he barely likes me. That shock, though, quickly turned into excitement. If I can keep him excited and continue running with him, maybe I can convince him to go after the big 26.2-mile prize with me. While I have absolutely no problems embarking on this crazy trek alone, it would be nice to have a close friend to compare notes with along the way. This weekend's run is out (I do have to work Saturday), but we'll definitely make some plans to hit up several runs in the next few months.

By the way, I went on my first post-10K run this morning. I thought I was rested enough to run again, but my legs had a different opinion. It was like they were made of concrete, heavy, solid and unwilling to bend. I was forcing them the first half mile before they loosened up and I could get into my normal stride. Now my legs hurt. I think I may be done running for this week. A little Aleve and some sleep is what I need now.

No comments: